St. John United Church of Christ is committed to engaged outreach and community engagement.
The Mission & Outreach Leadership Team is responsible for managing financial support with our wider mission and local impact partnerships. Every year, the Team will consider applications for funding grants and mission activities that are consistent with the congregation’s understanding of Christ’s call to live with justice and peace, and to be an Open and Affirming Congregation, promoting ecumenical and interfaith witness.
Priority consideration is given to applications from:
- Organizations that not only meet the most basic human needs of our community but that also can benefit from the hands-on involvement of volunteers from St. John UCC
- Organizations within the Freeport, Illinois area, and the Northwest Illinois/Beltline Area, that provide assistance to those within our communities least able to help themselves
- National and international organizations that provide assistance to those least able to help themselves and that engage the mission priorities of the congregation
- Organizations, particularly those associated with the United Church of Christ, working to fulfill our church’s wider mission
Grant applications can request general operating support for the core programs of organization or special projects beyond the organization’s normal budget scope. Grants are not made to individuals. Grant amounts will generally range from $500-$3,000, though larger amounts up to $5,000 may be considered in special circumstances.
Please note that a results-based report of the utilization of grant funds is required. It should address the success relative to the measurements specified.
Grant applications and supporting documents should be submitted no later than July 10 of the calendar year. Applicant organizations will also need to submit copies of:
- The most recent annual budget
- IRS Tax determination letter indicating that your organization is a public charity under Section 501(c)(3)
- Paper copy, PDF or online access of your most recent 990 form; and
- If applicable, a report on the use of the grant from St. John UCC from the last period awarded.
Documents can be sent to email@example.com, or through postal mail to:
Mission & Outreach Leadership Team
St. John United Church of Christ
1010 South Park Boulevard
Freeport, IL 61032
Grant applicants will be notified during the third quarter of the calendar year and distributed in the fourth quarter of the calendar year.