In June 1848, seven years before Freeport was incorporated as a city, a small group of German immigrants met at a house on the 300 block of West Pleasant Street to welcome an auspicious movement of God’s ever-creating and still-speaking Spirit.
With family names like Kochsmier, Tewes, Mengedohd, Boedeker, Hunkemeier, Reisenberger, Lesemann, Altenberg, Bodmann, Burkhard, and Beine, the Evangelische St. Johannes Gemeinde zu Freeport began its life and ministry.
Now, some one hundred seventy five (or einhundertfünfundsiebzig ) years later, we celebrate the beginning of our demisemiseptcentennial year, living out our mission to be the church that God continues to call us to be in Freeport and beyond.
Throughout this year, we will mark the milestones of our congregation’s mission and ministry, and look forward to the places that God is calling us to live out the Gospel that is known thorough our inclusive, progressive love. Watch the Tidings and our Facebook page for more on our anniversary celebrations.
St. John UCC at 175:
Inspired to always be the church we are called to be
in Freeport and beyond.